Intercept

Intercept

Fashion-forward locals talk trends

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fashion-forward locals talk trends

Alise Shalongl, Anthropologie personal stylist, describes her outfit.

Janice Ha and Lydia Zhou

San Francisco has some of the most unique yet trendy styles in the fashion world. Ranging from high-end brands to one-of-a-kind pieces from local thrift stores, people of the city take streetwear to a whole new level. Take a look at any street in San Francisco, and creative outfit inspiration will be everywhere. 

San Francisco fashion is a mix between thrifty hipster looks and upscale, simple pieces. Accessories, which are used to add depth and originality, also contribute to the trend. 

Alise Shalongl, an Anthropologie personal stylist who graduated from the Academy of the Arts, said that San Franciscans “are definitely conformists. They’re down to wear what everyone else is wearing.” 

Teenagers clearly represent this trend. Brandy Melville, an Italian clothing brand that creates simple but casual clothing pieces, is hugely popular among teens on the West Coast. Shalongl said “When I see everyday people commute in huge crowds they’re typically wearing the same essentials and like the same basic pieces, not too daring.”

Devon Williams, a 29-year-old Urban Outfitters worker, said San Francisco street fashion is “eclectic.” 

“I think it’s a mix of West Coast vintage instead of new streetwear,” he said. “So fashion brands are very brand savvy here.” 

He said that formal fashion, alternatively, is mostly functional due to the constant chill in SF. “Most of the year, jackets, all year round with like nylon, windbreakers, leather vests.” 

Fashion trends are dependent on both the generation and location. Shalongl’s favorite style is an oversized button up tee and high top Converse, with more fitted denim. It isn’t unusual nowadays to find unconventional shirts paired with offbeat pants. 

“Women are incorporating the oversized button up but like more relaxed, I think it’s, like,looking effortless,” she said.

Williams said that his favorite trend is the “Western look.” 

“I always love suede and fringe — anything that feels like the Castro 1976,” he said. 

Inspiration for San Francisco fashion ranges from magazines to people on social media to even different time periods. Shalongl’s inspiration comes from her favorite magazines and Instagram accounts. 

I also really love this fashion website called WGSN,” she said. “It predicts all the future trends. I also love the Vogue Runway app, and I keep up with Runway quite often just to get inspiration.” 

Williams gathers ideas from vintage menswear more so than by online Instagram trends. His inspiration stems from the 1970s, an era known for hippie fashion. Popular seventies clothing pieces include frayed jeans, peasant blouses and corduroy material.

Aside from being a city of trends, San Francisco is also a city for fashion inspiration, with its districts full of fashion-forward locals.

I think that there’s like the small population of really individualistic dressers that will definitely follow their cultural influences in street style trends,” said Shalongl.

About the Writers
Photo of Janice Ha
Janice Ha, Staff Writer

Janice Ha is a rising high school sophomore from Santa Clarita, California. She is a staff writer in her journalism class, and she also writes for the...

Photo of Lydia Zhou
Lydia Zhou, Staff Writer

Lydia Zhou is a rising sophomore from San Diego, California. She goes to La Jolla Country Day School. She is a staff writer and part of the school newspaper...